Know the Options for Flood Affected Tenants and Lessors

So many have been affected by these terrible floods. If you are unfortunate enough to have had your home flooded we hope these details will assist.  Please contact our office on 3510 5221 if you would like to discuss more details.

If a tenancy has to be ended early due to the flooding crisis, there are things you need to know.

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 has some flexibility where landlords and tenants are affected by natural disasters.

A tenancy can be ended early where the landlord and tenant agree the premises is non-liveable, provided action is started within four weeks of the disaster occurring. In cases where only part of the premises has been damaged, a rent reduction may be negotiated.

In all cases it’s important that the tenant and landlord liaise with each other, either directly or through a property manager, about any repairs that are needed.

Where an outcome can’t be reached between the tenant and landlord, a Dispute Resolution Request (Form 16) can be lodged with the RTA and a conciliator will try to assist.

Timeframes for bond refund claims and notices of unresolved disputes have been extended for flood-affected areas by the RTA.

More detailed information is available from the RTA website
or by calling the RTA Contact Centre on 1300 366 311.

Source. RTA Website

, , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply